by Dennis Manzo, Philippine Information Agency | Thursday, 02 June 2016
With the ending of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD)’s first compact with the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), DSWD MiMaRoPa conducted its final Regional Program Review and Evaluation Workshop (RPREW) for the closing of the Kalahi CIDSS MCC project last May 17 to 19, 2016 at Hotel H2O in Manila.
Attended by 230 participants including the field staff of Kalahi CIDSS MCC MiMaRoPa, the distinguished guests from the National Program Management Office (NPMO) of Kalahi CIDSS, the directors and specialists from the Millennium Challenge Account-Philippines (MCA-P), the Local Chief Executives (LCEs) of Kalahi CIDSS MCC implementing municipalities, and the provincial governor representatives.
With the theme “Compact Commitments: Completion and Closure”, the three-day event showcased the s journey of the region, the best practices and lessons learned in the implementation of the project, and the regional achievements of MiMaRoPa in helping the communities implement the community-driven development through KC MCC.
Deputy Regional Program Manager Irenea Liza Roque shared the story of Kalahi CIDSS MCC in MiMaRoPa starting from the exploratory meetings with the regional office, to the selection of the three guaranteed municipalities, and up to the random selection of the seventeen municipalities through draw lots. “ Kalahi CIDSS MCC is indeed a blessing to the communities of MiMaRoPa, as it the first compact with the MCC closes, we are hoping for another opportunity to be selected once again.” said DRPM Roque.
In addition, Assistant Regional Director for Operations Floreceli Gunio reported the achievements of the region in the past five years of implementation of the project.
One of the highlight of the event is the “Stories to Tell- Huntahan at Kapehan sa Barangay MiMaRoPa” Vice Mayor of Gloria, Oriental Mindoro- Hon. Ramon Solas, the Area Coordinator and the Deputy Area Coordinator of Gloria Oriental Mindoro- Ms. Ma. Wilma Guevarra and Engr. Marlou Perlas, the Municipal Financial Analyst of Agutaya- Mr. Alben Baac, Community Facilitator from Dumaran- Ms. Beverly Jane Pace, the National Barangay and Gender Development Champion- Ms. Macaria Valenzuela, the Municipal Gender and Development Focal Person of Gloria Oriental Mindoro- Ms. Melojean Candelario, and one of the the Kalahi CIDSS volunteer Ms. Rosalinda Fajilagot starred in the mini talk show that was hosted by the director of MCA-P Kalahi CIDSS-Mr. Andy Moll and the Best Municipal Gender and Development Champion at the national level- Engr. Eugenia Cruzado of Torrijos, Marinduque.
In this session, the group discussed the successful stories of community-driven development in their areas as well as the transformation caused by their involvement in Kalahi CIDSS.
“Sa Kalahi po ay nalaman ko na kung ano ang kayang gawin ng lalaki ay kaya rin gawin ng babae… kung kaya ni mister ay kaya din ni misis dahil lahat naman po, mapa babae o lalaki ay may karapatang maging volunteer. [I learned in Kalahi that women are capable of doing what men can do… if the husband can do something then the wife should also be able to do something because men and women have the right to become a volunteer.]” said Ms. Fajilagot.
Ms. Candelario said “Binuksan ng Kalahi CIDSS ang isipan ng mga mamayan ng Gloria ukol sa pagtatrabaho ng kababaihan sa construction. [Kalahi CIDSS has opened the minds of the people of Gloria about women working in construction sites.]”.
The municipal mayors present in the event where ask to give feedback about the successes and the transformative stories that they heard on the mini talk show. All of them have one tone: that was to be given an opportunity for another compact with the MCC.
More so, the Regional Program Management Office (RPMO) of Kalahi CIDSS MiMaRoPa gave awards and special distinctions to the LGUs and field staff who has shown outstanding and unceasing service to the communities in MiMaRoPa.
The awardees of the special distinctions are the following:
1. Best Area Coordinator: Ma. Wilma Guevarra (AC Gloria Oriental Mindoro)
2. Best Deputy Area Coordinator: Engr. Marlou Perlas (DAC Gloria Oriental Mindoro)
3. Best Municipal Financial Analyst: Alben Baac (Agutaya, Palawan)
4. Best Community Facilitator: Beverly Jane Pace (Dumaran Palawan)
5. Best in Fund Disbursement: Municipality and Area Coordinating Team of Banton Romblon
6. Best in Sub-Project Implementation: Municipality and Area Coordinating Team of Calatrava Romblon
7. Best in Thematic Environment Management System: Municipality and Area Coordinating Team of Quezon Palawan
8. Best in Gender and Development Integration: Municipality and Area Coordinating Team of Torrijos Marinduque
9. Best Area Coordinating Team: Municipality and Area Coordinating Team of Looc Romblon
10. Special Citations: Engr. Raffil Baylon (for fast tracking the implementation of Sub-Projects in Linapacan) , Engr. Dennis Feria (for fast tracking the implementation of the Sub-Projects in Cagayancillo) , Zuriel Soliven (for fast tracking the fund disbursement in Linapacan)
Staff who has served for more than 3 years in the project was also honored by awarding them a Length of Service Certificate.